Thursday, November 19, 2009

Get Ready Get Set!!


(A cute Thanksgiving table scape at my sister-in-law's house)

Today was the official beginning of "the season" for me. Anyone who has ever been on a diet knows that "the season" is that crazy food-filled time of year that runs from Thanksgiving to New Years. My season began at lunchtime, with the annual company luncheon for employees, where we were treated to a buffet line filled with turkey, ham, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beans, mashed potatoes, bread and butter, pumpkin pie, cold cans of soda, and oh yeah, I think there was a salad up there somewhere but I pretended not to see it.

Then at the end of the day they sent us all home with a big frozen turkey (since James and I each get one, he donated his to the local fire department). Tomorrow my department goes out for "our" Thanksgiving lunch, to a popular local buffet here that everyone just loves (me, I eat the mac & cheese, that's about it). I will probably be loosening the buttons on my pants after that, then James and I take off for a quick weekend getaway together (where there will be plenty of meals out), just to catch our breath before the whirlwinds of the holidays begin.

For Christmas, the office has already passed around the sign up sheet for the big accounting luncheon, where I wrote down my famous lemon cake. The day after that, another company-sponsored Christmas luncheon, which I'm sure will spoon up plenty of tasty offerings just like today. Then we get sent home with our yearly gift of spiral cut ham. And as for me at home, my coffee table is covered with magazine clippings and recipe cards, where I will eventually weed out my five or six favorite treats to bake for gifts to co-workers and neighbors.

And these are just work related diet busters! I didn't even mention Thanksgiving and Christmas meals with the families. I suppose I will get around to blogging about that fairly soon. I love the holidays, but man I wish I was a size four so I wouldn't worry about the 5-10 pounds I know I will gain!

Sandy

(Christmas at our old house in South Carolina)

3 comments:

  1. Do you think there's anything you can do to not gain any weight?

    For Thanksgiving we're going to my future inlaws in Texas. I'm a bit worried since the only vegetable I may see is fried corn. I didn't even know people fried corn.

    Anyways, after that I'm going home for a few weeks for Christmas so I'll be more likely to see veggies but we'll still be eating out a lot I'm sure. So I've thought up a few things to help that I'll do.

    1. I'll try not to eat while standing.
    2. Try not to eat anything unless I'm hungry. If I'm hungry I can eat whatever I want but if I'm not hungry I'm going to try not to.
    3. Stop eating before I'm stuffed.
    4. Smaller portions of the more fattening foods.
    5. Pick the lesser of two evils.

    Anyways, that's my game plan. I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say, I know you love Christmas, darlin' - but don't tell me you have put your tree up already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, that was actually back in SC. Believe it or not, I'm not doing one this year. It's already so late and it's not up yet, so I just said phooey with it this year.....

    ReplyDelete