Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Day of Reckoning


So tomorrow is a day I have been dreading for the last few weeks. My annual physical. When I made the appointment some months ago, I actually marked the date on the calendar with goals in mind. I wanted to walk in and face that ridiculously antiquated scale out in the middle of the public hallway, and get on it without making the typical excuses "Oh, I'm sure my shoes and clothes must add at least ten extra pounds!" I wanted to walk in and have the nurse tell me my blood pressure is normal, instead of her asking "Your BP is a little high today, are you just nervous to be here?" I wanted to walk in and not be afraid of giving blood- no I'm not scared of needles, just the results of my cholesterol and blood sugar counts. I wanted to walk in and have my doctor tell me I can go off all my meds!! I wanted to walk in and watch the line on my weight loss graph that she keeps on her computer, go down a whole lot- instead my cute little line will shoot up as high as my blood pressure surely will be.

But instead, I will simply not meet any of those goals at all. My doctor is a sweet young lady, and she is not going to fuss at an old fart like me, not that it would do any good. I certainly know I'm overweight, and I know my BP is too high, and I know last year my cholesterol was borderline.

I had hoped most of all to go into my appointment and be able to report progress to my doctor, on all the great changes I had made with my weight, my exercise, my health, my life. Instead I will go in as the same old me with the same old dumb excuses.

Sandy

1 comment:

  1. What you said there just now is what I said to myself at my annual physical in July 2009. I get mine every July, just had mine for 2010 last week. Last yearm and the year before, and back, same story... and last year it pissed me off. I fumed and beat myself down for months about it. Then as winter thawed and it came time to make the appointment, have to make mine months in advance, when I made the appointment for this year I almost said why bother. It is just going to be the same or worse. Then my wife said yep, with that attitude it will be the same stuff, another year on blood pressure meds.

    Attitude? For a few minutes I thought she had the attitude! But I thought about it and figured, maybe I can make a small difference yet in the 3 months before my appointment. So I adjusted my attitude and got moving and boom, came in to that appointment 35 pounds lighter and believing those blood pressure pills are soon to be a thing of the past.

    So this years appointment will be the same old stuff for you this year, but, what about next year?

    ReplyDelete