Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Distant Strangers



I don't like veggies- I never have, and I don't know why. I tend to keep them at a safe distance away from my plate. If you are a fellow Weight Watchers member, then you know how much the program stresses eating vegetables. At least my leader does. She is always trying to steer us away from the evil that is processed foods, and into the direct oncoming path of a whole food freight train. Perhaps it's because at her house, she and her two children suffer from celiac disease and she has to pretty much make all their meals from scratch so that she can control the ingredients. Still, anyone on WW also knows that veggies are low in points, and since we are limited in the number of points we can consume, and since we all got overweight by eating too much to begin with- well, we try to combine quantity with low points. In other words, we're all trying to eat as much as possible but still stay within our points limit for the day. Enter the vegetable- most are low in points, some are even zero points.

Logically, we would all shove aside the fatty (high point) foods like burgers or pizzas or nachos and instead consume vegetables morning, noon, and night. Logically. So why can't I see beyond stinky broccoli or flavorless cauliflower? Why can't I eat any other vegetable besides buttery starchy corn? I can make myself a gigantic salad loaded with plenty of fresh tomatoes and cucumbers, but my salads are also loaded down with cheese, bacon, croutons, and lots of dressing. I know in my head that I should be serving fresh vegetables with every meal, but my taste buds usually overrule my brain cells. But for dinner this evening I'm going to give it the good ol' college try, and open up this scary looking bag hidden in the freezer. It's six pounds of vegetable madness, and I'm going to dish it up tonight. Mind you, not all six pounds at once.

The ironic part of this tale is that my husband absolutely LOVES vegetables, he swears he could adhere to the vegetarian lifestyle and be mighty happy about it. So as a dutiful wife, do you think I could put veggies on the dinner table a little more often? Yeah, I'll have to work on that...

Sandy


(Spider is ready to help Mom make dinner tonight.)

2 comments:

  1. I really had to work hard on the veggies, too. I'm not a big fan, and those I love are higher in points. I eat salad every day, carrots, tomato juice, V8, but put a cruciferous veggie in front of me and I gag. It's tough. I like them better raw than cooked. I do my best and I eat more than I ever did, but they're nothing I'll ever crave.

    So, you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some veggies that I really like, and a lot that I tolerate. Maybe you'll find one or two that you really enjoy (besides corn, lol!) and those can be your staples.

    ReplyDelete