Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Little (Big) Black Dress

This weekend I had one of those experiences that many overweight women dread- I had to go clothes shopping for something very specific. Not like when I normally go, on a whim, and happen to find something cute at Kohl's. And not something comfortable like pants with an elastic waistband or a billowy peasant blouse to hide everything. No, I had to find a dress for a work function in two weeks. A "business formal" dress. James has to wear his suit, so I have to look like the other half of a matching set. I don't wear dresses, in fact the last time I had one on it was a few years ago for a friend's funeral. I do have several old dresses hanging in the closet (read: dresses that are too small for me to wear now). So of course those didn't fit, and I gave up after I tried on the first two.

I actually don't like clothes shopping, and I know my husband will tell you I am full of bull and to just look in my closet. But it's true. I wear the same thi
ng over and over again- slacks and a blouse. No skirts, no dresses, no power suits. I love accessories (purses, shoes, jewelry) more than I like the actual clothes. It's not because I'm overweight, but because I've never been froo-froo and I'm basically still a tomboy at heart. So, I don't wear a dress unless it's an absolute requirement. Say, like my wedding. But, the work function is important, a banquet where a lot of the bigwigs will be gathered, and I don't want to be the one wife who sticks out like a sore thumb. I am going as an executive's wife, but I am also an employee there as well.

I started my search here in Newnan. I went to Belk's, and had plans t
o go to Dillard's after that. But Belk's was depressing, and the only thing I could find that I would even wear in public made me look like a retired school marm. It was awful. I know I'm in my 40's, but this dress added another 10-15 years to me! Everything Belk's had just seemed to scream "PLUS SIZE!" I was so defeated I didn't even go to the next store. But on Saturday my lovely wonderful husband said he would drive us up to Atlanta to anywhere I wanted to go, and we'd find a dress for me. We ended up at Macy's, and I did find a dress (above). I know in this photo it looks like I'm going to a Goth rock concert, but it's actually very nice. It's by Jessica Howard, and here's the model wearing a much skinnier size...


I'm happy with my find, but not satisfied with it. I'm happy because it's formal enough and it fit and I know I will look nice for my husband at the banquet. But I'm not satisfied because I know my size limited my choices. Macy's had a large formal section with dresses in every bright color, with sequins and little straps, but not in my size. At my size, this is what I had to choose from. Why is that?

7 comments:

  1. It's a pretty dress and you will look great in it! But having been on both sides of the store, I will admit that the selection is unbelievable when you aren't stuck in the plus sizes. It's really too bad, because IMO more selections in the plus size range would mean more sales. Glad you found something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the dress...you'll be into the other sizes in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd buy that dress in a minute. Formal and pretty. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's lovely! Hey - is there a Catherine's around there? I got this wonderful sequined dress there once - it was purple - and have a scalloped hem - very non plus-size and it was only $100! It may have been on sale - but Catherine's does have some great professional and formal clothing that doesn't scream fat lady. I want to see the shoes and bag you're wearing with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the dress and you shall look amazing.
    me? I look forward to pictures (hinthint).

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I'll have to take photos because the hubby will be in a suit for the first time in a few years. I do love the dress, I just wish I'd had more choices to pick from. I may have still picked this dress though! Tomorrow night it's shoe shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I could make a comment about the dress, but what in the h... do I know about stuff like that! But I know what ever you wear you will look great....have fun.
    dad

    ReplyDelete