Thursday, August 22, 2013

I Made It!


Above is my Pandora bracelet, one I started several years ago.  But I haven't worn it in a very long time, and that's been a self-imposed decision.

The story of my bracelet was to recognize and celebrate my weight loss.  I started the bracelet back when I was 245.  For every five pounds I lost, I got a new charm.  Yes, it's a pricey reward, but dammit I'm worth it!  And I'd always wanted a Pandora bracelet, so it just seemed like a winner-winner all around.  Whenever I was getting close to another five pounds gone, I would go ahead and order my charm- I have a small bulletin board in my closet and I would tack the charm, still in its little wrapper, on the board where I would see it every day.  Just a reminder to work a little harder to reach the next goal.  I wouldn't allow myself to put the new charm on the bracelet until I actually lost the weight.  And the opposite was true- if I gained a few pounds back, I took off the most recent charm from the bracelet until I could "earn" it back.

When I was down to 215 a few years ago, I went ahead and ordered the next two charms- for 210 and 200.  But both hung there sadly on my board, for a very long time.  And one by one, the charms were getting removed from my bracelet until I only had three left on it.  At that time I put the bracelet away- back up in the 230's, what was the point?  I wanted to wear my bracelet, but I wouldn't allow myself the luxury.  I had lost those privileges- the bracelet was to proudly show off the lost pounds, and the weight loss it symbolized was no more.  I put all the beads back on there, and added the two newest ones.  To wear this bracelet again, would signify me attaining my biggest goal- getting down to 200 pounds.  I hid it away in my jewelry cabinet, and I would not put it back on under any circumstances other than hitting 200.

If you've read my blog for awhile, you know my greatest goal for right now has been to get down below 200.  I managed to get right to 200 in 2009 when we first moved here, but I kept that off for a few seconds at the most.  (That would be when the photo that's at the top of my blog was taken.)  It's been since 2005, before I got married, that my weight started with a ONE.  So to get below 200 has been the goal I've been pushing at for so long now.  I actually hit the goal last week at 199, but I didn't want to get too excited and post about it.  I wanted to make certain it wasn't just a fluke for one day.  I am delighted to say that it seems like that goal is going to stick!  This morning I was 197.6 and I finally feel as though I might actually make it all the way to the finish line this time.

I still credit Weight Watchers, and even though I haven't been tracking points this time, I've been sticking to the Core plan instead- lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains.  And of course always the ActiveLink and its challenge, pushing me along to up my exercise and activity level every day.  At this point I am still having to do at least 4 miles a day to make my goal.  Lots of water too, I can't remember the last time I bought even a diet soda at the grocery store.  Lunch for me has lately been a fruit, veggie, and cheese plate.  Snacks are always fresh pineapple or watermelon.  I have completely lost the taste for fatty processed foods, so I actually enjoy the fruit and look forward to it.  This past weekend, I was craving a milkshake so I got one, and it made me sick and made me think, well I don't want another one of those again.

And above all else, I credit my super supportive hubby, because he continues to work hard outside the home so I can be here to work hard on my health.  Without that support, I know I couldn't take on this journey.  I am pretty sure he doesn't read my blog anymore- he doesn't need to because he's living it!!- so I can say all of this about him without worries of making him blush.  But if it weren't for having him in my life, I wouldn't care enough about anything to want to do this.  245, 200?  Just numbers, what would it matter?  But it does matter to me, because I matter to him.

The new bead below, is the one I just ordered today, and it will go on my bracelet as soon as I get down to 195.  It takes about two weeks for the bead to come in the mail, and I just might reach my goal well before I even receive it.  But I have a long wish list saved online, so I've already got the bead for 190 picked out and can order it with one click.

Carrying on.......!

SANDY

No comments:

Post a Comment