Thursday, August 8, 2013

ActiveLink Update


No weight loss this week, but no gain either.  Maintenance is a beautiful thing folks, don't knock it.  Even if I maintain for the next few weeks, I won't complain.  To reverse the old saying- No Gain Is NO Pain!

Even though Weight Watchers frowns on members weighing at home, I still weigh every day, and keep up the calendar I started back here.  It's really been very instrumental for me.  I don't obsess over the number, so I'm not worried that weighing every day will make me go crazy or do something silly.  I know that if I skipped exercising and had pizza for dinner or I walked a few miles and had roasted veggies, I will probably see it the next day on the scale.  It goes up and down a little every day, and I am not freaking out about the ups because eventually the "ups" are lower and lower numbers.  That equals success to me.  And yes, I'm still staying focused on that big goal of 199 and hoping to reach it by the end of this month.

I still credit my ActiveLink as well.  I am on Week Ten of the twelve week challenge, where the device raises my activity level little by little.  Right now, I pretty much have to do at least 3.5 miles on the treadmill every day to even get to 50%, and the other 50% will come from my everyday duties in life- vacuuming, yard work, laundry, grocery shopping, going up and down two flights of stairs repeatedly.  By the end of the challenge I suspect I will have to commit to 4 miles a day on the treadmill to get to my 100% every day.  Some days I don't quite make it- yesterday I was down in my back and only had 83% and only 1.5 miles on the treadmill.  But I did what I could, and no one is keeping track of the ActiveLink but me so there will be no finger-wagging.

I do have plenty of other food-related challenges coming up.  We are making plans to spend three full days in New Orleans for the long Labor Day weekend.  Last time we were there, we walked everywhere we went, so I don't think exercise will be a problem.  But boy, there are some really great eats in the Crescent City, and I don't think anyone loves fried seafood as much as I do.  However, I can't eat that way for three meals a day the entire trip, and I won't.  I will have to make sensible choices concerning portions and cooking methods (grilled fish anyone?), just like I did on our Canada vacation. We're going to pack in lots of walking with planned visits to the aquarium, the zoo, the flea market, and of course, up and down the beautiful streets of the Vieux Carre.

We also just booked our annual cruise, this year pushing it back to mid-November.  We've been on enough cruises now that we feel pretty savvy as far as onboard eating is concerned.  We long ago learned that the buffet is nothing but quantity, and very little quality.  We turned our backs on the midnight buffets a few cruises ago, and not much would convince us to return. Instead we go to the dining room for dinners- yes you have to get dressed up, but (A) it's fun to get all spruced up with your significant other and be served by charming gentlemen in uniform and (B) the portions are on the smallish side plus the options are SO much healthier.  For breakfast, on our last cruise we adopted our normal hotel rule- James goes to the buffet, returning to the room and bringing me one small plate (normally a bagel with cream cheese, or a muffin) and that's all I eat.  There is no reason whatsoever to stuff myself at breakfast and start off the day in a carb-coma.

So even with these two vacations planned, (and let's not forget the holidays that will be here before you know it), I am setting my end of the year goal for 2013 at 180.  I'm not sure I can do it, that's a little over 20 pounds in five months.  But I've lost over 20 since April, so I have to believe in myself, and believe that I can stay on the course and get there.

SANDY

No comments:

Post a Comment