Friday, November 21, 2014

Holiday Prep

Today at Weight Watchers, we talked about the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday.  My leader Marci passed out a "cheat sheet" listing all the normal holiday fare.  Before we knew the points for each food item, we had to be totally honest and mark down what we would normally eat.  Then she revealed the points.  I didn't do too badly, I was at the lower end of the class spectrum.  My total meal was only 21 points.  I was honest in my choices- green bean casserole, corn, stuffing- but perhaps not in the scant amounts that were listed.  Thanksgiving is not too much of a temptation for me.  I don't really like turkey and gravy, I hate mashed potatoes, and I won't touch pecan pie or sweet tea.

Every year we spend Thanksgiving with James' family, and the meal is wonderful.  Everyone goes all out and brings their best dishes for a scrumptious pot luck.  Last year I promised myself I wouldn't get up and have seconds, and I didn't.  This year I intend to do the same, except I plan to spoon up much smaller portion sizes.  It's hard, because I love all the casseroles and bread and homemade desserts that only get served annually. I also have to remember that with so many choices available, I won't be able to have something of everything.  A friend in the meeting said this is one meal where she is super picky- using her points for only her absolute favorites.  She has a good point.  I make sides like corn or sweet potatoes for dinner at home- perhaps I could pass those up at Thanksgiving in exchange for a spoonful of gooey baked mac & cheese.

In the past we've had the Thanksgiving meal later in the day.  This year, I think for the first time, we're aiming for high noon.  And that leaves the evening open for too much nibbling.  Although we are staying at a hotel, I am sure very few restaurants and probably zero fast food places will be open that night.  I can only imagine that our dinner- even if it's packed up and taken to the hotel- will be leftovers from the big meal.  I don't think I want to eat that many calories- no matter how delicious- twice in one day.  I may skip dessert after the meal, and wait to have my piece of pie for dinner.  I'm an adult, I can do that.

I succeeded in not going overboard on our trip to Florida.  In fact I had a two pound loss for this weigh-in, my first week back.  But I am also in the middle of shedding the incredible amount I gained on the previous vacation, the cruise.  Our receptionist asked me if she owed me a five-pound star today.  I said no, I received it already for this particular milestone- this week's loss is still making up for that last big "backslide".  And I don't want the holidays to be another backslide.

At the meeting, Marci reminded us that Thanksgiving is just ONE meal.  She said not to deprive ourselves, even if we have to use all of our extra points- weekly and activity- to cover that day.  But she also made it clear that a holiday is not a license to overindulge.  It really is more about being with family than it is eating.  The meal is just a good reason to get everyone to sit down at the same table together.

SANDY

No comments:

Post a Comment