Friday, October 17, 2014

Getting It Over With

I kept my promise to myself, and as embarrassing and difficult as it was for me deep down inside, I headed back to my regular Weight Watchers meeting this morning.  When I opened my booklet up last night, I was a bit shocked to see my last weigh-in was back in August.  I didn't realize it had been so long.  But since I weigh and track at home on my calendar, I already knew the results of today's weigh in before I even stepped up to the counter.  15 pounds.  Yep, I gained 15 pounds back that quickly.  Our receptionist just looked at me and said, "Bless your heart".  If you are from The South, you know that is our polite secret code for "Well aren't you just a stupid little moron".  I can't make enough excuses to cover that gain in that short amount of time.  It's like in a simple few weeks, I gained back what it took me months and months to shed in the first place.  So I'm not happy with myself right now.

I had intentions of getting a new ActiveLink today- I've given up on looking for my lost one here at home.  With four cats, that thing could have been batted up under the refrigerator by now.  But my leader informed me they were out of stock.  She said WW is actually revamping them and getting ready to launch something new to replace them, although she said she wasn't allowed to say anything more yet.  Someone told me a few weeks ago, they sold them all out for $5 a piece.  Yes, sounds like they are discontinued now?  I thought about ordering one on eBay, but why pay for another ActiveLink if WW is getting ready to issue an updated version?

A few of the members said they are using FitBit, and said it now links up with the WW website, and can translate into activity points.  I do admit I thought the ActiveLink was a bit one dimensional, but I did like how it kept me honest as far as how many activity points I was earning every day.  I stopped at Target on the way home and looked at the FitBit, but the $100 price tag made me hesitate.  True, with the ActiveLink there is a $5 a month fee to use them, and FitBit would not cost anything besides the $100.  But I decided I would wait and see what new product WW was going to launch.  I am not going to let this derail me, I can certainly exercise without the ActiveLink!  I used it for well over a year, I can pretty much figure out how many points I earn on an average day of not doing much (only 2 points!) compared to an active day that includes the treadmill (maybe 5 points on a good day, 8 on a super great day).  I will use my past experience to start tracking my activity points, until WW unveils their new gadget.

For today, my goal is to get through the weekend without overeating too terribly.  Friday date night is postponed this week, as my husband continues to work late nights due to an audit, so I will have a sensible meal at home instead of the normal Friday night splurge.  We do have a lot of goodies in the house right now that I'm trying to ignore.  This week was Boss's Day and a sweet employee gave James a gigantic food gift basket, which of course he brought home.  It contained a minefield of snacks including peanut brittle, chocolate dipped potato chips, caramel chews, cookies, kettle chips, and a lot more.  I don't really want my husband eating that sort of stuff either, but well, I know we will both get into all of it eventually.  And it makes me sad to know that I already expect myself to fail.

What is that old line from Star Trek?  Resistance is futile?  Some days I really feel that way.

SANDY

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandy,

    Sorry you are feeling blue about the whole dieting thing. I yo-yo dieted more times than I care to admit. I actually lost (and then regained) 60 lbs TWICE since turning 40! So I 'get it.'

    Everyone is different. I was a HUGE carb/starch/breads etc. addict. Put warm buttered sour dough bread on one plate, a slice of cake on a second, and I'd go for the bread every time. So when I came across the ideas of not just low-carbing (how I lost the 60 lbs. both times, but couldn't keep it off)...but of giving up 90% or more of all grains and sugar, I thought 'no freaking way!' But I started reading the science behind it, and 1/1/13 gave it a try. The first week was hard, but after that, the clouds parted, and it worked. I know it sounds like a totally crazy idea. If you ever want to read more, I suggest the book Wheat Belly, and the website marksdailyapple.com.

    In any case, good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete