Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Caving and Bending

Okay so I caved in and bought a Fitbit on Monday.  I couldn't stand it.  I was going to wait on the new Weight Watchers gizmo that's going to replace the ActiveLink, but as much as I searched for information on its release, I couldn't find anything online that gave me an inkling as to "what" or "when".  And now that I'm trying to get back to a regular exercise routine, I really wanted a monitor.  Originally I had decided against the Fitbit because of the $100 investment.  But once I did the math I realized I had already paid more for the ActiveLink ($40 to buy it and then $5 a month fee over the past 17 months).  With the FB, there is no fee involved.

I really like the Fitbit so far.  It's similar to the ActiveLink- once I clip it on I don't even realize I'm wearing it.  I opted for the one that attaches to my bra strap, because that's where I always wore my AL.  Plus it gives a lot more info than the AL did.  The FB has steps and miles walked, for the entire day, which is pretty cool.  Yesterday I had a typical day around the house, some chores, some cleaning upstairs in the studio, a little bit of stuff in the yard, but also a lot of sitting at the computer which is normal for me.  No real exercise.  I was pleased to see that at the end of the day, even without getting on the treadmill, I had walked almost 6000 steps.  I know they say an "optimal" day is a minimum of 10,000 steps.  It's good to know that with no effort at all, I was well on my way there.  Just think how great those numbers will be on a day where I go walk in the neighborhood in the evening.

The Fitbit also has sleep mode, which I think is one thing that really attracted me to it.  I do have trouble sleeping, as many menopausal women do.  I take a lot of all natural sleep aids every night (valerian, melatonin, etc.) so it does help.  On nights where I don't take anything, or take my pills too late, I do not sleep at all.  So around 8:30 or so, I start taking everything so it can start working its magic on me.  By 10:00 I am ready for bed and can drift off fairly easily.  Staying asleep, however, is the problem.  And I have no desire to go on any kind of prescription medication for it.  I toss and turn a lot, kicking off covers, moving around pillows, swatting cats away, getting up to pee several times, checking the clock, getting a touch of asthma or needing to blow my nose, and of course I have awful restless leg syndrome to top it off.  You name it, it wakes me up, however briefly.

The first night I wore the FB to bed, the results were interesting.  By the way, the wristband for nighttime is so lightweight, I didn't even notice it once I put it on.  So the FB showed how long it took me to settle down and fall asleep (8 minutes), how many times I actually got up in the middle of the night (twice), and how many periods of "restlessness" I had (17!).  It showed I was in bed for 7 hours and 15 minutes, but I only got a little over 6 hours of actual restful, still sleep.  Yet it gave me a 92% efficiency rating.  So I am very interested in continuing to track this information.  I have definitely found a correlation on "how" I slept and how I feel the next day.  I don't just mean waking up feeling tired, I mean if I don't sleep well the night before- I feel like crap the entire day.

I just got the FB on Monday afternoon, so I haven't yet hooked it up to my Weight Watchers eTools account.  I'm curious to see how well it translates my activity points.

I also started going back to my yoga class this week, as I promised myself I would.  Turns out my previous instructor is no longer with the studio due to scheduling conflicts.  Sort of bummed me out, she was a really sweet girl with a soft but encouraging voice, who would come around and help me when I couldn't quite stretch far enough or bend the right way.  But the class I'm going to now- Monday and Thursday- is taught by the actual owner of the studio.  She's older and a very experienced instructor.  And since my class is filled with mostly older ladies- I am the youngest one there by at least a good decade!- the class was gentle and healing and it felt SO good.  I didn't hurt anywhere for the rest of the day.  It may not burn calories, but at over 90 minutes, it's a wonderful class.  And I will keep at it!  That is my positive affirmation for today!

SANDY

No comments:

Post a Comment