Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Getting Over Vacation



Vacation- that time when we step out of our real lives for just a short while and discover new places and new experiences. Sadly, I stepped back on the scale when I got home. NOT pretty. Vegas wasn't kind to me this trip, and even though I ate "less" than I did when we were there in April, I think I ate more unfriendly foods this time. And I sat on my butt more this time, too, which didn't help. I think we only ate two meals a day- I only remember getting up to have breakfast once. But I also tried to branch out and eat different things this trip. One afternoon we had Korean food, very delish but also swimming in some thick sauces that surely had to be high in calories and fat. One night we went to a fancy burger joint that gave you a list of about 100 ingredients you could top your burger with- I had my usual rare burger, and topped it with goat cheese and of course, the always present mayonnaise. I inhaled it before the waitress could come back around and refill my water glass, it was SO good. (I'm telling you people, if you get the chance, order your burger rare- you will never want it any other way again!) Dinner on our last night was a spectacular meal of Chateaubriand- and while I didn't finish my lovely green beans that accompanied it, I sure didn't waste time ordering the creme brulee for dessert. I couldn't even behave the one day we went out for brunch (above)- this is Vegas' version of one pancake, and yes it was as big as the platter it came on and although the photo doesn't show it, it was an inch thick (check out James' towering breakfast below).

So is there any wonder that yesterday we went out and bought a recumbent bike, to crank up the exercise routine a notch? Yes, we need it after this trip!

Sandy

4 comments:

  1. Good Lord what in the world is that food James ate....?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well somewhere under all that stuff is a piece of fried chicken, some eggs, biscuits, bacon, tomato, mashed potato, cheese, spinach, sauces, and even a few pieces of fried pasta as garnish. And no, he did not finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to ask the same question about James' breakfast! I agree about the rare hamburger - people think you're nuts when you order it, but it is so much better than a dried out well-done burger. I could forgo steak forever if I can have a decent hamburger once in awhile! Sounds like you had fun in Sin City.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of my sinning was of the bad-food variety...

    ReplyDelete