Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sometimes It Works!



So sometimes the science experiment does work, as it did for lunch yesterday. Okay, I admit I love pizza, I could eat it for every meal if given the option. On my really bad days, I would indulge in a frozen pizza from the store, like a DiGiorno. The only problem is, I would settle in on the couch to watch TV and eat the whole thing myself. For most of you reading this, you've possibly done the same thing in the past. The pizza that I preferred- the cheese garlic bread pizza- has a total of (drum roll please) 2100 calories and 84 grams of fat. Shocking, I know. You think, hey, it's just a frozen pizza. But I looked it up and a piece of the frozen DiGiorno has exactly the same numbers as the Pizza Hut cheese pan pizza- 350 calories and 14 grams of fat per slice. We all know how cheesy and gooey and greasy Pizza Hut is, right? So, surely a cheap frozen pizza is better for me? Apparently not.

I do keep Lean Cuisine pizzas in the house, but they just don't satisfy the craving when it's a bad day. And yesterday was a bad day. So I had to find middle ground. Enter Lavash bread. I confess, I've never had it before, but the other day at the store James and I spied a bag of Lavash roll-up bread among all the bags of pitas and tortillas. One piece has only 100 calories and 4 grams of fat, and 6 grams of fiber. The style we bought is made with whole wheat, flax, and oat bran. With just a small amount of finely shredded cheese, and a little Pam sprayed on top to give it a nice glisten, I turned out a wonderful little (very) thin crust pizza. (Photo above.) The whole thing had less calories and fat than one slice of the DiGiorno variety. And it definitely hit the spot I needed it to.

I'm sure when Lavash bread was invented in ancient days, they never intended for it to be a substitute for Pizza Hut, but it worked well for me!

Sandy

4 comments:

  1. Sandy, I'm enjoying both of your blogs. Thanks for following me over at paulawannacracker.blogspot.com. I love pizza and I have used Lavash bread as well. The possibilities are limitless. I have also bought that flatout bread with flaxseed. I buy mine at Winco near the pita breads. The texture of the flatout bread is thicker than a tortilla and they are huge and they are only 1 point. I use them for my pizzas, spinach wraps, etc. Check them out if you have a chance.

    Have a good day
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great compromise on treating yourself on a cruddy day, but staying away from the really bad stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks good - I've been making pizza with the Flatout Wraps and you're right...these do satisfy and tame a craving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used the Flatout bread in the past, we ate it so much I think we got burned out on it because my husband never asks me to buy it anymore. I loved it because it comes in all those yummy different flavors! I admit, I love any kind of "bread" product- it's my downfall. Trying to find the healthiest versions are a challenge.

    ReplyDelete