Saturday, January 8, 2011

She Shoots, She Scores!!

I guess one way to stay focused on weight loss, is to set GOALS! Not just a number on a scale, but real milestones for life. Although I certainly do have the ultimate weight goal of 140. There are a lot of moments in life where I've said to myself- this would be SO much better if I was not overweight. So here are a few goals I have, in no particular order.
  • Hiking- Something I used to enjoy in the fall and winter was hiking, and I used to go fairly frequently to hike at the local state parks. The last few years, I haven't had the stamina to keep up, and my lower back issues always seem to get in the way. I know losing weight will not only help my back, but it will allow me to hike farther and keep up with my tireless husband. GOAL: I haven't hiked in almost two years, and I would like to go again by later this spring.
  • Falcons- Yes, the Atlanta Falcons. We are season ticket holders, and we have a playoff game next week. Only problem for me is that we have a long walk to the Dome from where we park- up stairs and ramps. And our seats are the last row up in the last section. Great seats, but by the time I get up there, it takes me nearly 10-15 minutes of trying to catch my breath because I am so winded. GOAL: By the time next season starts, I want to be able to cruise up to our seats with no effort whatsoever.
  • Clothes- I talk about clothes a lot on my blog, because it's the one thing that I can't avoid. I have to put on an appropriate outfit every morning for the office, and it is getting harder to find stuff in my closet that isn't w-a-y too tight. Tight clothes not only make me very very self-conscious, they are also extremely uncomfortable and in some instances, get in the way of me working. I've had days during the summer where I wrap up in a sweater because I am embarrassed by the bulges that tight pants or a snug blouse show. GOAL: By summer, I would like to be in a size that doesn't start with a number. Just a regular XL would be good with me right now.
  • Photos- I love to take pictures of everything- landscapes, the cats, my family. But at my size, I can't stand to have my photo taken. All I see when I look at the pictures is how wide I am or how fat my face is. I think that's why I'm always the picture-taker, so I won't be in the photos. James will snap my picture when I'm not looking, but I can't stand to see them- especially if I'm standing around other people who are half my size. GOAL: By the time we take our annual fall cruise, I want to be able to enjoy the vacation photos instead of trying to hide the ones with me in them.
  • Exercise- This is my biggest goal, even more than losing weight. Right now, I never have any energy, I have aches and pains all over, and I'm on about six or seven different prescription medicines. I know exercise will take care of all of that. I used to enjoy walking, around the neighborhood or on the treadmill, and I have gotten away from that. Hence, the weight is creeping back up. I stay SO tired all of the time, and some days I can barely move with my backaches, and I know that a regular exercise program is the answer. I've always had a hard time watching what I eat, but exercising for me is actually easier than dieting. But lately I haven't been doing any of either. GOAL: By summer, I want to be in the habit of walking every evening, and get in longer walks on the weekends.
Those are just a few simple goals, nothing outrageous like liposuction or a trip to Paris. If I could do any or all of the things on the list above, and accomplish them in 2011, I will be very very satisfied with my life. I just turned 44, and as far as I'm concerned I'm only halfway through my life, but the way I feel lately- I might as well be 80!

SANDY


1 comment:

  1. Well my daughter you have set a great goal and I admire you for that. I know you well enough to know that if you are truly motivated you will accomplish it. So, heres to a great New Year for both of you...know that you guys are loved!!!!!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete