Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Wii Folk

So now I've traded in the boring treadmill and stationary bike for the Wii, and "we" have been having a blast. And hopefully burning calories to boot. James has played it religiously every day since hooking it up on Christmas Day. I just started recently. But, we both started out with our "Fitness Age" up in the 70's, and we are both down in the 20's now. So far we've just been playing the Wii Sports that came with the machine. The only thing I haven't attempted so far is the boxing, but James has, and he says it's tough and will wear me out. Tonight was my first night of playing the golf, and while it wasn't quite as physical as the tennis, it had its own challenges. Mainly, I know nothing about golf.

We manage about an hour every night, and as late as we get home from work, sometimes we are just finishing up on the Wii right before bedtime. But I want to continue to play every night. I may not be burning as many calories as say, walking an hour on the treadmill, but I am certainly burning WAY more than I have been lately, playing couch jockey. Right now, I feel as though I am just starting out again. So what if once upon a time, 5 miles on the treadmill was an easy feat for me. That was far too long ago for me to try and jump back on that regimen right out of the gate.

As heavy as I am currently (and I will talk about that in my next post), playing the Wii is about the limits of my stamina right now. Hard to believe how much huffing and puffing I am doing, just by swinging a Nerf tennis racket. Of course, to watch me play, you would think I had some sort of ailment- I can't stand in just one spot and swing the racket which theoretically that's all you need to do to make the game work. No, I run all over the basement like I am really chasing the ball on the court. And I sound like Monica Seles, for those of you who remember her.

Anyhow, this is a step- or lots of steps across the basement floor- in the right direction. Burning calories is always easier when you're having fun!

Sandy


No comments:

Post a Comment